The Australian Consulate-General Phuket is Australia's official diplomatic mission in Phuket, with accreditations to the provinces of Phang-nga and Krabi. The Consulate-General works closely with the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.
The Consulate-General was officially opened in August 2017 by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop. Prior to the Consulate-General's opening, Australia's interests in Phuket were handled by Honorary Consuls Mr Larry Cunningham OAM and later Ms Michelle Hawryluk. In 2015 the Australian Government announced that its presence in Phuket would be upgraded from an Honorary Consul to a full Consulate-General, reflecting the strength of the Australia-Thailand bilateral relationship and the number of Australians travelling and residing in Phuket.
Under a bilateral agreement between the Government of Canada, the Australian Consulate-General provides emergency assistance services to Canadian citizens. Emergency situations include arrest or detention, crime and/or accidents, international child abduction and custody cases, repatriation and illness and hospitalisation. For Canadians, notary services and passport services will continue to be provided by the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.
Craig Ferguson was announced as Australia's first Consul-General to Phuket by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop MP on 3 August 2016. Mr Ferguson is a career diplomatic officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and most recently was Assistant Director, Staffing Operations Section in Canberra. He has previously served overseas in Shanghai, Brasilia and New Delhi. Mr Ferguson holds a Bachelor of Business from Queensland University of Technology.
Public holidays in 2019
- Friday 12 April - Songkran Festival (in lieu of 13 April)
- Monday 15 April - Songkran Festival
- Friday 19 April - Good Friday
- Monday 20 May - Visakha Bucha Day
- Monday 10 June - Queen's Birthday
- Monday 29 July - H.M. the King's Birthday (in lieu of 28 July)
- Monday 12 August- H.M. Queen Sirikit's Birthday & Mother's Day
- Monday 14 October - H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej Memorial Day (in lieu of 13 October)
- Thursday 5 December - National Day & Father's Day
- Wednesday 25 December - Christmas Day
- Thursday 26 December - Boxing Day
- Monday 30 December - Public Holiday
- Tuesday 31 December - New Year's Eve