The Australian Consulate-General Phuket is Australia's official diplomatic mission in Phuket, with accreditations to the provinces of Phang-nga and Krabi. The Consulate-General works closely with the Australian Embassy in Bangkok.
The Consulate-General was officially opened in August 2017 by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop. Prior to the Consulate-General's opening, Australia's interests in Phuket were handled by Honorary Consuls Mr Larry Cunningham OAM and later Ms Michelle Hawryluk. In 2015 the Australian Government announced that its presence in Phuket would be upgraded from an Honorary Consul to a full Consulate-General, reflecting the strength of the Australia-Thailand bilateral relationship and the number of Australians travelling and residing in Phuket.
Under a bilateral agreement between the Government of Canada, the Australian Consulate-General provides emergency assistance services to Canadian citizens. Emergency situations include arrest or detention, crime and/or accidents, international child abduction and custody cases, repatriation and illness and hospitalisation. For Canadians, notary services and passport services will continue to be provided by the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.
Mr Matthew Barclay
Mr Barclay is a career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and was most recently First Secretary, Australian Embassy, Jakarta. He has previously served overseas as a political adviser in Afghanistan and defence adviser in Timor-Leste. In Canberra he has served in the Consular Operations Branch and the Malaysia Brunei and Singapore Section.
Mr Barclay holds a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) from the University of Western Australia and a Graduate Diploma of Education from Edith Cowan University.
Public Holidays in 2021
- Monday 7 December - National Day & Father’s Day (in lieu of 5 December)
- Friday, 1 January - New Year’s Day
- Friday, 2 April - Good Friday
- Tuesday, 13 April - Songkran Festival
- Wednesday, 14 April - Songkran Festival
- Thursday, 15 April - Songkran Festival
- Wednesday, 26 May - Visakha Bucha Day
- Thursday, 3 June - H.M. the Queen’s Birthday (Thai)
- Monday, 14 June - H.M. the Queen’s Birthday (Australia)
- Wednesday, 28 July – H.M. the King’s Birthday
- Wednesday, 13 October - H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej the Great Memorial Day
- Monday, 6 December - National Day & Father’s Day (in lieu of 5 December)
- Monday, 27 December - Christmas Day (in lieu of 25 December)
- Tuesday, 28 December - Boxing Day (in lieu of 26 December)
- Friday, 31 December - New Year’s Eve