Australian Consulate-General
Phuket, Thailand

Getting Married in Thailand

To get married in Thailand, the Thai authorities require a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) to prove you're free to marry. We issue CNIs at the Embassy in Bangkok and Consulate-General in Phuket by appointment Monday to Friday (excluding Embassy/Consulate public holidays 2023 & Embassy/Consulate public holidays 2024). Fees apply.

Note that Thai authorities only accept CNIs issued by the Australian Embassy and Consulate-General for Australian citizens who have entered Thailand on their Australian passports. If you have entered Thailand on a passport issued by another country, you will need to request the equivalent document from that country’s embassy.

You should also refer to the information on 'Getting Married in Thailand (PDF)' document which explains the steps you need to take to ensure your marriage in Thailand is recognised as a valid marriage in Thailand and Australia. This information is provided in both English and Thai.


How to apply for a CNI in Thailand

1. Prepare your supporting documentation

To apply for a CNI, you and your partner need to provide supporting documentation. At least one person applying for the CNI must be an Australian citizen.

  • If an Australian citizen, a valid Australian passport.
  • If a foreign citizen, a valid foreign passport, or valid photo identification
  • If either party is divorced, a Divorce Certificate for the previous marriage.
  • If either party is widowed, the deceased partner's Death Certificate.

Supporting documents must be originals*, as we need to take copies from the originals and certify them to meet local Thai Government requirements.

If the documents are not in English, they must be accompanied by an English translation that's performed by a professional translator.

*If the original Divorce Certificate was issued electronically, please produce the source email (email sent by the Family Court) to the notarial officer and forward it to [email protected]. Similarly, if the original electronic document is only accessible through a web portal, please log on to this portal using your mobile device at the time of your appointment and forward it to the above email address. (If you do not have a mobile device, you can use the computer in our waiting area.)


2. Complete the application form

Download and complete the application form for a certificate of no impediment to marriage (CNI).


Download a certificate of no impediment to marriage (CNI) application (editable PDF) here


  • You can print it and fill it in, or complete it electronically - see sample of completed CNI application form (PDF).
  • To meet Thai authorities' requirements, your residential address on the form must be an Australian address.
  • Don't use an eSignature. You'll need a consular official to watch you physically sign it.
  • If both parties are Australia citizens, you must each lodge separate applications, supporting documentation, and fees.


3. Submit your form and supporting documents

  • Remember: an appointment is required to apply for a CNI and the Australian applicant/s must attend in person.


Appointments in Phuket

Book an appointment using SetMore


Appointments in Bangkok                                

Book an appointment with Australian Embassy Bangkok using SetMore

  •   Note: Parking is not available for visitors to the Embassy in Bangkok.


4. Sign the form in front of an authorised witness

Only sign the form in the presence of a consular official at the Embassy/Consulate-General. They need to watch you sign it at the time of your appointment.


5. Pay the fee

  • Refer to the Notarial Service Fees page for the current fee in Thai Baht.
  • You must pay when you submit your application form.

Our fees increase in line with the consumer price index on 1 January each year.


6. We'll process your application

We'll review your application. Our first step is to make sure it is complete.

  • If it's incomplete, we can't process it, and you will need to make new appointment to re-submit your form and supporting documents.


7. Once approved, we'll issue you the CNI


We also encourage you to refer to our Smartraveller page on getting married overseas, and read the Consular Services Charter.